Driving to SIBA
This journey can take about six hours.
Please note: Barry Way, which is between W Tree and Jindabyne (allow 3 hours), is a well maintained, but unsealed, picturesque mountain road. It is narrow, steep and windy in places and should only be used when there has been no rain. Contact SIBA before setting out for advice on the condition of the road.
This drive can take around six hours.
We are usually able to co-ordinate carpooling from Melbourne or Canberra at the beginning or end of a retreat. If you're able to assist with transport by taking passengers to and from the centre, or if you are looking for a lift, please let us know when you register.
Bairnsdale is the nearest major regional centre to SIBA. V/Line trains leave Southern Cross Station, Melbourne, around 7:00am daily arriving in Bairnsdale around 11:00am (check train times before travelling). V/Line recommends you book your seat on the train - phone: 136 196.
Dyson's Buchan Bus Service - phone: 0419 742 539 provides a service from W Tree to Bairnsdale and Bairnsdale to W Tree on Wednesdays and Fridays only.
The bus departs Bairnsdale from the bus stop in front of Coles supermarket at 2:50 pm. The bus arrives at SIBA at 5:10 pm
The bus also departs W Tree at 8:10 am travelling via Nowa Nowa and Lakes Entrances to Bairnsdale where it usually meets the 11:06 am arriving V/Line train from Melbourne and can take your luggage.
One way fare - full $19.00/concession $10.00.
There is a bus service from Canberra to Bairnsdale that runs a few days a week. Unfortunately, it does not connect with the Buchan Bus. Contact us if you are coming from Canberra by public transport and we can assist with arrangements.
Flying into Melbourne is preferable to Canberra as the public transport connection is better from there. You may need to stay in Melbourne overnight as the V/Line train to Bairnsdale leaves early in the morning. The train leaves from Southern Cross Station.
What to Bring
For your convenience please bring the following items with you:
- Bed linen (two single sheets and a pillow slip) - we provide doonas and pillows. For those travelling interstate or by public transport we have linen for you.
- Layers of warm, comfortable, loose clothing suitable for meditation as well as slippers/thick socks to wear indoors.
- Slip-on shoes and walking shoes.
- Towel, toiletries and other personal items eg: ear plugs.
- Torch and an alarm clock.
- Meditation cushions are provided. You are welcome to bring your own meditation cushion and mat if you prefer.
- Pen and paper for taking notes. If you have your own retreat manual from previous retreats bring that too.
- Cash - to make an offering to the teachers or you may want to buy something at the dharma shop.
SIBA has a secure on-line retreat registration and credit card payment facility. Payment in full is preferred to minimise adminstration. If you have any questions regarding this service or you do not have a credit card please contact us.
If you have made payment we reserve the right to retain the amount paid should you withdraw from the retreat.
SIBA Retreat Centre
2592 Gelantipy Rd
W Tree, Victoria, Australia 3885
Email us | Ph 03 5155 0329