Buddhist Pilgrimage to India and Nepal 2018
The main pilgrimage will cover seven of the eight holy sites in India and Nepal. On most days there will be group prayer & meditation and short teaching either by Rinpoche or by another teacher. We will meet many important teachers and people on the journey.
We have scheduled at least 4 nights in Dharamsala, the seat of Tibetan Government in exile in the hope of having an audience with His Holiness the Dalai Lama. There are many important teachers and interesting institutions to visit in and around Dharmasala
The pilgrimage itinerary is being redrawn having had confirmation of His Holiness the Dalai Lama's availabilty.
Starts - New Delhi 23 November 2018
Finish - Kathmandu 14 December 2018
As is the tradition with Buddhist pilgrimage we will be visiting seven of Eight Holy Sites that were indicated by the Buddha, including:
- Lumbini - birthplace of the Buddha (Nepal close to the border with India).
- Sarnath - where Buddha first turned the Wheel of Dharma (Uttar Pradesh Province, on the outskirts of the ancient holy city of Varanasi (Benares) on the banks of the Ganges);
- Bodhgaya - where the Buddha attained enlightenment (Bodhi Tree);
- Kushinagar - the site of Buddha's passing into Mahaparinirvana.
- Rajgir – On Vulture’s Peak Buddha taught Heart Sutra
- Nalanda – Birth-place of Shariputra and the site of ancient Buddhist University
- Vaishali – Site where Buddha ordained women and announced his passing away
Other places that we may visit are:
- Tashi Paikhel and World Peace Pagoda, Pokhara - Tibetan Settlement where Rinpoche grew up
- Bodh Nath Stupa, Kathmandu - Tibetan refugee enclave in Kathmandu and the monastery and holy relics of His Eminence Chogye Trichen Rinpoche as well as IBA (International Buddhist Academy)
- Swayambu Nath Stupa – the “Self Arising” stupa, overlooking Kathmandu valley
- Namo Buddha, Kathmandu - where Prince Mahasattva fed his body to the hungry tigress
The pilgrimage is very well organised and Rinpoche-la has much experience leading these tours. A more detailed itinerary and other travel advice and information including what to prepare, what to expect and what to being will be provided closer to commencement. Accommodation is usually of a very good quality with breakfast included. Land transportation is in private air-conditioned buses. There will be four domestic air flights including a spectacular scenic flight of the mighty Himalayas. In general, accommodation, food and transport are always improving with every pilgrimage that Rinpoche-la has lead over the last 30 years or so.
The total fee of the pilgrimage is AUD$3500.
What this DOES COVER is:
- 4 star or 5 star hotel twin share accommodation for 21 nights (Single rooms will cost extra $850)
- Four domestic flights
- All land transport
- Entrance fees to all historic/museum sites
- airport transfers
- welcome buffet dinner and farewell buffet dinner
- tipping to coach driver(s) and conductor(s)
- bottled drinking water
What the pilgrimage fee DOES NOT COVER is:
- International flights (to Kathmandu/from Delhi)
- Travel insurance
- meals apart from breakfast
- Spending money and other personal expenses
All profits from this pilgrimage go towards fundraising for the SLCD's STUPA TEMPLE OF PEACE project in Canberra.
A group multi-city international flight is available througn our agent. Details including costs can be provided once you have contact us. You are welcome to book your own international flights and not go through our agent.
You need at least six months validity on your passport. If you are planning on coming and your passport expires before mid 2019, you need to renew it now.
You will need to apply for your India tourist visa in your country of nationality. Nepal issues 15 day tourist visas upon arrival in Kathmandu airport.
Rinpoche's pilgrimage tours are very popular, and will be offered only to those who join the pilgrimage early. As there is alot to organise and there will be a limit to the size of the group. Those who are interested need to confirm their arrangements as soon as possible. You do not have to be Buddhist to join this trip.
Deposit and Registration
A deposit of AUD$500 must be paid upon registration. Now is the time to register and pay your deposit.
The balance of $3,000 is required to be paid in full by 15 September 2018.
If you are undecided but are interested, please contact us now to help with tentative arrangements. You will be kept on an email contact list with updates.
Jampal will be helping Rinpoche with coordination for this tour. Please email email@example.com or phone Jampal on 03 5155 0329
Click here for this event's cancellation policy.
|Pilgrimage 2018 - Deposit||$ 500.00|
Event terms and conditions
Event Extra Details